Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Genealogy

I had the pleasure of having my grandma come and stay with me for a few days and see our new house. We moved down to Santaquin, UT last March (see another blog entry for the fun details on that move). The closest town just north of Santaquin is Payson. Little did I know that my 4th great-grandparents settled Payson way back in the mid-1800's. I wouldn't have known that if my grandma hadn't come to visit and told me casually while we were driving through Payson. My grandmother is very big on genealogy. But it's not just enough for her to map out the family tree; she likes to visit the places of these people if at all possible and she has a collection of items that belonged to people that have been passed down over the years.

Anyway, one of the things she's always wanted to see was Payson and to visit the graveyard there to see if she could find our ancestors. Once day while Russell was in preschool we drove up there. We drove through the cute little town and down Main Street and I showed her around. We stopped by the construction site of the LDS temple and checked it out. Then we went to the graveyard. We had some trouble finding them at first and needed pointing in the right direction by one of the cemetery workers, but we found them at last: Israel Calkins, Jr. and his wife, Lavina.

Considering that my grandma will be 86 this year, I'm glad I could help her check this one off the list.

No comments: